For some of you Valentines Day is an excuse to shower that special someone with cards, flowers, gifts and attention. For others it’s a black hole of loathing with thoughts of revenge and regret and a fervent wish you could squash your useless ex like a bug. For most though, it’s a day like every other and one more opportunity to be grateful for the important people in your lives and to cherish the small moments of love and thoughtfulness I hope you all experience.
Now, for those of you in a loving mood today, I thought to focus on Love as we know it in fiction! Have I told you my novel is a love story? No, well it is! I’m hoping eventually it will be a fantastic love story full of life’s ups and downs, the little things we do to show we care, the new and the familiar, the lost, the forgotten and the heartbreakingly honest.
Until then though, and because I love a good list… Here are my Top 10 favourite love stories in fiction!
- Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
- Discovery of Witches – Deborah Harkness
- Me before You – Jojo Moyes
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
- Call me by your name – André Aciman
- The Notebook – Nicholas Sparks
- The Time Travellers Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
- The Fault in our Stars – John Green
- Until the end of the World – Sarah Lyons Flemming
I could tell you why they’re my favourites, but I don’t want to spoil them for anyone who hasn’t read them yet and you can make up your own minds as to whether these deserve a spot in your Top 10!
If you don’t have plans for Valentines Day – curl up with a good love story! That’s what I plan to do! If you’re looking for your next read, you could try out one of my recommendations above or check out these other lists here and here. And if you have any brilliant suggestions for me – don’t hesitate to post them in the comments below!
Happy Valentines Day!